Most printers of the last years of release have “smart” stuffing, thanks to which the device can automatically recognize errors in operation. In the event of a malfunction of a component, a message with the current error code and a description of the problem will be displayed on the computer or device screen. Be sure to watch the videos that can be found at the very end of the article.
One of the most common mistakes that happen with Canon printers is error 5200 or P08. The error indicates overheating of the printhead-cartridge, and indicates that the printer needs to be repaired. In fact, it is not necessary to take the printing device to a service center, since you can do the repair yourself at home. Let’s and talk about how to fix the situation when error 5200 appears in a Canon printer.
Troubleshooting error 5200
Some printer models use ink for printing not only for its intended purpose, but also for cooling. If any of the colors have run out, an overheating error message appears on the display.
The following method is for the mp250, mp270, mp280 models, as well as the MG series printers (MG2140, MG2240, MG3140, MG3240). The first step is to determine which cartridge is causing the error. By opening the management utility on your computer, you can view the ink levels for each cartridge. It happens that the program can display a malfunction of several cartridges at once, but this information is erroneous. Using the brute-force method, you need to disconnect the cartridges one by one and see which one is causing the problem.
Half-empty and empty cartridges must be refilled with ink. If it has been without paint for a long time, then it is likely that it will not be possible to restore the cartridge, in which case it is necessary to replace it with a new one.
Eliminating the problem through the service menu
The method allows you to get rid of error 5200 by resetting the diaper counter. You need:
- The printer must be disconnected from the network. Hold down the STOP / RESET key and without releasing press the POWER button – start the printer.
- When the LED lights up, press the STOP / RESET button 2 times and keep holding.
- You can release the printer power button, then release the STOP / RESET key. If you did everything correctly, the indicator should glow green. The LED indicates that we have activated the service mode of the device.
- Press the STOP / RESET button 4 times, then turn off the printer.
After the steps taken, error 5200 should disappear. The printer will reset the pad counter to clear the error.
Solving the problem with distilled water
Users who use only black and white printing can use this method. It is important to understand that the use of color inks will require the installation of new cartridges.
- We collect distilled water into a regular syringe.
- On the cartridge, you need to remove the sticker, where special holes for refueling in the form of 3 circles will be located. If one mug is not enough, then you need to do it yourself.
- We fill each cartridge to the end.
- We blot excess moisture with a napkin and install the cartridges in their place.
- We carry out the procedure for resetting the diaper counter described in the previous method.
The water will serve for cooling, so the overheating error will not appear.
Cleaning the cartridge contacts and refilling
In some cases, refilling the cartridges with paint or water does not help. This happens if the cartridge control board is out of order. Due to overheating, nozzles burn out, respectively, the cartridge stops working. Unfortunately, you can restore the printer to work and get rid of error 5200 only by purchasing a new cartridge.
To prevent the cartridges from failing, it is necessary to constantly monitor the ink level and not allow them to be fully used up.
Another official way
Sometimes error 5200 in Canon printers can also be caused by foreign objects that get inside the device.
- Turn off the device and disconnect the power cable.
- We open the lid of the printer and observe its internal state. If necessary, remove the protective tape and foam.
- Sometimes small foreign objects such as a paper clip, a button, etc. can get inside. Check the inside of the printer carefully for such parts.
- We close the printer cover, connect the cable and try to turn it on.
In most cases, error 5200 in Canon printers occurs precisely because of a lack of ink, which is used as a means to cool the device. Users who are only interested in black and white printing can use distilled water instead of colored inks, which will also be an excellent coolant. If the refilled cartridge is not detected by the printer, and the printer reset does not help, then most likely the cartridge board is out of order. Buy a new cartridge and try all the solutions for error 5200.